Friday, June 3, 2011

How do I find a replacement key to my grandmother's antique dresser? Can a locksmith fashion me a new key?

How expensive is a locksmith? One of the drawers is locked and I need to open it. Ideally I would love to get a new key, but I am worried about the cost involved.How do I find a replacement key to my grandmother's antique dresser? Can a locksmith fashion me a new key?The cost for a locksmith varies by location. The question I would ask is: Since this is an antique, how much of the value will I destroy if I try to do it myself and mess up a lock that cannot be replaced?



Since you stated %26quot;one of the drawers%26quot;, I speculate there are others with locks. Take one of the drawers to the locksmith shop. They are normally keyed alike. Taking it in saves the trip charge.How do I find a replacement key to my grandmother's antique dresser? Can a locksmith fashion me a new key?A locksmith will charge about $50 to come out to your house and make a key. Call around and ask a few in your area what they charge.



If it was possible to remove the lock and take it to them it would cost much less. This may not be an option if it is locked.



Sometimes locks will have a number printed on the front near the key hole. Take the number along with a discription or photo to a locksmith. Sometimes they can make a key just based on that.How do I find a replacement key to my grandmother's antique dresser? Can a locksmith fashion me a new key?I currently have a similar situation on my hands. My mother has lost the key to an antique cabinet and we have been trying to find keys to open it. If it is a skeleton key (mine is a skeleton key), it may be a little easier than it is a regular key. I have asked around and locksmiths charge about $50 for the service call to your house. However, if you can bring them the piece, it will be significantly less. They will try out different keys and charge you for just the replacement key when they find a match. I am still trying to find a key. Online there is a shop that sells antique keys http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/sc.11/category.29/.f

but you do need kind of know what you are looking for. Good luck.