Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What sorts of medical people do you need to see after seeing your doctor about having a hip replacement?

I need a list of all the medical people that someone would come into contact with after seeing the doctor about a hip replacement



I also need a list of all the different scientists (e.g. materials scientists) that would have helped make the persons operation a success



Also - when a new way of doing a hip replacement is tried, the patient is taking part in a experiment. How do you think the patient should be treated.



- Thank You :) All answers will be appreciated xWhat sorts of medical people do you need to see after seeing your doctor about having a hip replacement?I've had both hips replaced. Here is a list of the medical workers that I encountered:

My primary care physician was an INTERNIST.

The surgery was performed by an ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON.

Both of these physicians had OFFICE NURSES who were LPNs.

The surgeon was assisted by REGISTERED NURSES who functioned as scrub nurse %26amp; circulating nurse.

My anesthesia was delivered by a NURSE ANESTHETIST (sometimes it is delivered by another type of doctor called an ANESTHESIOLOGIST).

My pre-op testing %26amp; in-hospital testing involved XRAY TECHNOLOGISTS, RADIOLOGISTS, PHLEBOTOMISTS, %26amp; LAB TECHNOLOGISTS.

Any drugs that I took were provided by a PHARMACIST and a PHARMACY TECHNICIAN.

My prosthesis was approved by the FDA (Food %26amp; Drug Admin.) for implantation in humans and manufactured by MACHINISTS (the factory is in Warsaw, IN). I believe that my prosthesis was originally designed and tested by orthopedic surgeons in Great Britain.

Before and after surgery I was given therapy by PHYSICAL THERAPISTS including PT ASSISTANTS, and while in the hospital I had sessions with an OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST.

While in the hospital and after surgery I was under the care of REGISTERED NURSES. The hospital also employed CNAs, LPNs, DIETICIANS and ancillary workers in food service and housekeeping. I even had the services of a NURSING STUDENT %26amp; her INSTRUCTOR for a couple of days.

I self-donated blood before my surgeries. This involved the staff of a Red Cross center (NURSE %26amp; clerical staff) and the PHYSICIAN who administered the hospital's blood storage unit.

The medical equipment (walker, crutches, etc.) that I needed after surgery was delivered %26amp; demonstrated by a HOME MEDICAL EQUIPMENT technician.

I had to have medical transport to another facility during my hospitalization. This involved ambulance personnel such as EMTs.

At the other facility I had a radiation treatment related to my hip replacement. Although I did not have the treatment because of cancer, this treatment involved a RADIATION ONCOLOGIST physician and his staff.

In all of the above there were also employees that I never saw but who did things such as coding %26amp; billing, medical transcription, hospital admissions staff %26amp; volunteers, %26amp; insurance company employees.What sorts of medical people do you need to see after seeing your doctor about having a hip replacement?Charlotte, if the doctor that you have seen is a general practitioner then you need to see an orthopedist. I would recommend that you see an orthopedist that does a lot of hip replacements as their level of expertise is greater. As for people that you would see to improve the recovery in both time and ease it would be a physical therapist, a nutritionist, occupational therapist, and a psychologist. These people are going to help you to get into the proper condition before the procedure both physically and mentally. As for taking part in an experimental procedure I personally would want to know what is the difference between this procedure and what is normally done and how many has this doctor done. If he is just starting out on this procedure then I would have to think long and hard about that as the level of expertise is not going to be very great on that particular procedure. The better you are in shape, weight under control and as strong as you can be the better the outcome will be. Mentally if you are really ready it will also make things much easier. The procedure is not without pain so you have to be ready to deal with this factor. Learning how to meditate and control the pain will definitely help you. Good luck!