Friday, September 23, 2011

Can I put replacement windows in?

My dad built a brick porch on the front of our house in 1961. I found that out today when I seen %26quot;61%26quot; carved into the concrete floor. Mom and dad are gone, and now I own the house. I would like to take the storm windows down and put real windows in there spot. How do I know if I can use replacement windows? There are wood frames around the windows.Can I put replacement windows in?You can contact a window replacement company if you are not handy around the house. The wood frames will have to be removed if you want to use replacement windows. If you know your way around a tool box you can measure the opening ( not the window itself)and see if it is a standard window size. If it is you can find a pre-hung window at your local hardware store you can install it yourself. If the window is not a standard size it is best to go to the next smaller window. If there is not a huge size discrepancy you can shim the sides and top and bottom to help the fit and the trim will cover it. If your opening is way off the standard window sizes it will take some work either to frame in a smaller window or make the opening larger to accommodate a larger window. Get a friend to help you windows and doors are heavy and cumbersome to work with. I would classify this as a more advanced project, not for a beginner. There are directions with the windows, but they have to be level when installed and there may be some prep work involved with your opening.