Monday, September 19, 2011

How easy would it be to swap the 2.4l engine in my father's MK2 Jaguar for a larger replacement?

I am aware that the MK2 Jaguar came with engine sizes up to 3.8 and that these larger models are more desireable- and perkier- than my father's 1961 2.4l.



Would it be a relatively straight job for a mechanic to do, swapping the engines over? What else would be involved, and could you give a rough idea of UK costs if we supplied the replacement engine?



Thanks!How easy would it be to swap the 2.4l engine in my father's MK2 Jaguar for a larger replacement?It's a relatively easy job,straight forward nuts and bolts,but,different exhaust system,engine mounts,different clutch,if fitted,auto box is another matter,depending on which carbs it may need harness mod's.relatively simple as it's pre injection.But overall it's the same body shell so everything is available.As for how much I couldn't say without seeing the car,at that age all kinds factors can crop up from rust to unknown mod's.I'd also be happier uprating the radiator and front brakes and suspension springs,more weight and power see?You supplying the motor would concern me,if it's a dog I would still want payed for the fitting,make sure it's a good engine or you could end up paying for it to be changed twice.