Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?

My sister and I found him about a week ago the vet said he was four weeks old. She told us he didn't need a milk replacement but he cried so much. I went and bought it anyway and he's one happy, content, playful, and adorable kitten! I'll begin to wean him off the milk but when should that begin? He has sad blue eyes and he's a light tan color he's really cute!How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?He may be ready to start on some canned meat. Kittens much prefer meat to kibble. He will be a messy eater at first so be prepared for that. You can put some mushy meat on a small saucer and take some on the tip of your finger for him to eat. Even smush it a little around his mouth. He will lick his lips and find out how good it tastes.



Please avoid the canned food from the grocery store(Whiskas, Friskies, Fancy Feast, Science Diet) as it is very poor quality with too many unnecessary flavor additives and may make him sick. Natural Balance, Innova, Wellness, etc. all make high quality meat products for cats and kittens.



NB and Wellness make 3 oz cans which make for a perfect kitten serving.



As to jumping on the couch that's just what kittens do and he should not be punished in any way for that natural activity. He is much too young for any program of %26quot;discipline%26quot; to be effective. So don't frustrate yourself and make him fearful and confused for doing what is perfectly natural for him.How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?spray with a water bottle when she does itHow do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?awww!! cute!!



i would start introducing him to kitty solid food and wateer and when he starts eating by himself hes ready to be weaned.



about the couch thing, cats are independent if he wants to get on the couch he s gonna get on the couch unless you want to disciplin him with a spray bottle of water and every time he gets up there spray himHow do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?A kitten can be away from it's mother at 6 weeks. I guess that means that you can stop giving him milk then, too. And you have to train him. Oh, but if it's an indoor cat, you might want to consider getting him declawed. Or do what my cousin did and just get him declawed on his front paws. That way, if he gets back outside, he can still climb trees.How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?I can't help with the couch. My cats rule my house and that is the way I like it so I am untrained in how to keep them off. But I can help with the weaning. I would buy some canned food. Give the kitten the milk in the morning when you feed and in the afternoon, give her canned food. They really need moist food. In about two weeks, start putting out a dry kitten food for her, but still supplement with the canned food. Maybe once a day. Little cats really need the moisture in the canned food. It keeps them from getting dehydrated.How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?there is a bottle of spray called bitter barrier it helps keep pets from scratching climbing on things and chewwing. you can spray it on furniture clothing plants and other things. dont spray it around open food.it really works i have 2 kittens of my own u can buy it almost anywere and its not alot of moneyHow do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?Get a water pistol. That is the least cruel thing I know of. They hate the water. I would wait until he is at least 8 weeks old before I took the milk away. Don't forget to have him neutered also because males have a very bad habit of wanting to %26quot;mark%26quot; their territory. Congrats on the kitten. I have 7 cats and love them all to pieces.How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?typically you don't wean them until 8 weeks old...How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?Depends on your definition of climbing the couch. If the cat is getting on it, the spray bottle approach will be effective. If the cat is clawing (or as you say climbing), you can put masking tape in the area so it will get caught on the cat's paws and become irritating.



You can put the milk into the bowl with a little food and slowly decrease the milk and increase the food until it is solid over time to wean the cat. The mother will typically do the wean at about 6 weeks. Ultimately, as long as the cat is getting proper nourishment, now would be a good time to begin.How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?ohhhh he sounds so cute. i have two cats and they are two years old and they still rip the couch, lol. they love it. i bought them a scratching post but they never went near it. a good way to stop them is get a spray bottle and fill it up with water and a bit of lemon juice and every time he goes near the couch spray him. cats dont like the smell of lemon. i know its sounds cruel for a cute little kitten so try spraying it on the couch.



and with the weaning problem theres no rush my cats still drink milk. u can buy milk for adult cats in the supermarket. but should slowly start around 8-10 weeks, thats what they say in books etc. but make sure he always has buiscuits and fresh water everyday even when he has milk.



hope this helps. he will become ur best friend. there the bestHow do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?I think it's precious to picture this little guy climbing up the couch, my guess is to be closer to you. I would enjoy it now because in a few weeks he will be big enough to jump on the couch and you won't have to worry about it any longer.



I would also start introducing him to a scratching post if you haven't already. Play with him with a favorite toy near the post. When he starts scratching on it, even a little, give him lots of praise so he knows he did well.



As for the milk, you can wean him off of that at any time. If he really doesn't seem to want the water, try mixing the milk with a little water like 3 parts milk to one part water. Then in a few days do half and half. Continue until he is on just water. You should also be introducing him to solid wet food right now. After he is eating that easily you can introduce dry food, preferably softened with a touch of water, not to make it nasty but just enough so he can easily chew it. Or you can buy the Royal Canin babycat food which is specifically designed as a baby's first solid food. It has very small pieces for their tiny mouths and it is softer than other solid foods.How do I keep a five week old kitty from climbing the couch? When should I wean him off the milk replacement?He sounds so cute n_n



To keep kitty from climbing the couch, put little booties on his feet.



Wean him off of the milk subsitute at about 7 weeks by mixing it in with his food and gradually adding less. If you just go cold turkey, he'll have stomach problems.
  • find a cute comforter
  • delegates
  •