Friday, September 23, 2011

How can I tell when I need a valve replacement?

I have a 1987 BMW R80/7. My mechanic tells me that the reason I find it difficult to maintain correct valve clearances is that the valves on this generation of Beemers are made of an alloy softer than the allow used in the valve seat ... he called this %26quot;valve recession%26quot; and showed me an eroded valve from his own late-70s bike. He said the solution is stainless steel valves - not a real huge job on these bikes (easily accessible heads and all).

I don't want to just swap valves unless it is real necessary. I have been checking the clearances every month or so, and making any necessary adjustments. But how can I tell when it is finally %26quot;time%26quot; to have the valves replaced? I don't want to be left high and dry on the roadside on some trip, but neither do I want to pay for the replacement prematurely.

Any suggestions?How can I tell when I need a valve replacement?If I was worried about it I would simply change them out. Other wise just keep checking them and keep riding. I usually don't swap out valves unless they are pitted, bent, or I can not get them adjusted within tolerances.How can I tell when I need a valve replacement?you should change them... they might need to be changed any ways ya kno?? if u kno tha problem then just change them so

Report Abuse

How can I tell when I need a valve replacement?Get a Harley!

Report Abuse

How can I tell when I need a valve replacement?Just a couple of questions- When you adjust the clearances, are they always loose?

(there should be a tolerance for adjustment, make sure the top of the valve isn't %26quot;mushroomed%26quot; with a micrometer)

Do you always have to adjust them, tight or loose?

You can remove the head and drop the valves and measure the overall length to see how much material has been removed.

Make sure thy meet minimum length requirements-

They bike is already 20 years old- what do you mean by premature?How can I tell when I need a valve replacement?just go ahead and change em out. then you can spend the time saved in the saddle instead of on your mechanics chair.How can I tell when I need a valve replacement?when your heart stops
  • remove nail polish
  • website host
  •